US says 'slight progress' made in talks with Iran
發佈日期: 2026-05-23 20:26
TVB News


US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday that slight progress was made during talks with Iran as Pakistan's army chief travelled to Tehran in a renewed effort to mediate a peace deal and uncertainty loomed over whether war will resume. This as Iran says peace talks are not close to an agreement. Iran's foreign ministry said they would not reach a conclusion if they delve into details related to highly enriched uranium in Iran. Speaking in Helsingborg, Sweden alongside NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte before a meeting of NATO foreign ministers US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been 'some slight progress' in conversations on Iran but still insists Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. He said: "There's been some slight progress. I don't want to exaggerate it, but there's been a little bit of movement and that's good. The fundamentals remain the same. Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. It just cannot. This regime can never have nuclear weapons. And to achieve that, we're going to have to address the issue of enrichment. We're going to have to address the issue of the highly enriched uranium." After the Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons failed Friday to agree on a final document, the President of the Conference, Do Hung Viet expressed concerned for the future health of the Treaty and said he was disappointed it was unable to really seize this critical opportunity to make our world a safer place. This as US President Donald Trump defended his war against Iran and insisted that Tehran wants "to settle so badly." "Iran, their Navy's gone, their Air Force is gone, everything's gone.Their leaders are gone. And if you read the fake news you'd think they're doing just fine. They're not doing just right. They want to settle so badly."
